Friday, July 17, 2015

The courage to promote and embrace diversity

I had mixed feelings about this article that came out last week.


http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/poll-japanese-women-dont-want-to-lead/


Given its declining population, the Japanese government is trying to encourage more diversity in the workplace.  Finally!  But there’s deep rooted culture that is getting in the way.


Growing up in a traditional Japanese household, I was constantly reminded to “behave like a girl”.  My mother bought me dolls and pretty dresses but they collected dust.  She genuinely thought I’d like them but I preferred being on my bike.  I never had interest in fashion.  It was only a few years ago that a friend said “there are clothing stores outside of REI (outdoor activity store)”.   I never got into hair and make up.  The only reason we have a hair dryer in our house is because one of our guests asked for one.  Instead, I loved reading Encyclopedia (remember those?) and loved technology!  After all, I come from a country that invented Washlet, which is “the world’s most sophisticated toilet” according to the Guinness World Records.  So, I turned out to be a jeans and gadget loving tomboy.  I still ride my bike, don’t know how to do my hair, have more male friends than female friends and work in a male dominated Silicon Valley.  This tomboy doesn’t look good in a kimono and it’s OK.


Compared to Japan, U.S. promotes more gender equality but we still apply gender sterotypes.  And this starts at an early age.  But what if we each take one step to unleash each child’s potential, regardless of gender?  What if we gave legos to girls, just like we do to boys?  Perhaps these girls may turn into architects or engineers.  One of my friends takes his daughter out on off road jeep rides.  She works on her jeep herself.  Perhaps she will end up being a mechanical or electrical engineer.


I once heard that children’s brains are like sponges, so the worst thing we can do is to limit their potential.  I think we should give them the same opportunities to explore and find solutions.  These analytical and problem solving skills are valuable regardless of their future career.  And certainly helps in STEM.


Next time my niece asks for a necklace as a gift, I’m going to suggest something else she might like.  Perhaps a perfume making kit where we can explore chemistry together?

No comments:

Post a Comment